Friday

August 3, 2009


Nighttime.


I have not heard from you since your last letter, which was strangely lacking in content. Was it form-based? I have been staring at this sheet of paper for days, trying to find meaning in the creases. Was it deliberately folded into a triangle? Are you referencing the three points of a relationship?


Point 1: Strangeness

Point 2: Acquaintance

Point 3: Intimacy


Today a Jehovah’s Witness knocked on my door for five minutes. At first, I hid under my futon. But the knocking did not cease, and so I finally dragged myself to my feet and came to the door. The Witness looked startled to see me. Perhaps it was my impressive beard and the fact that I had the Star of David drawn on my bare chest in purple food coloring.


“Hello,” he said. “I would like to talk to you about God.”


“God is an extension of the earth, crawling out of the wet soil like our grasping fingers,” I said. Then I closed the door.

I had hoped that it was you knocking on my door, BA. But I know that you respect my artistic endeavors, and I appreciate that. However, I was thinking – I will shower and shave and present myself to the world again in a mere three weeks. Would you like to get coffee then?


Sincerely,

AB

No comments:

Post a Comment